Tuesday, October 31, 2006

a kinda apple pie



I had all these apples sitting around from the pre exams period that I bought before I discovered that I couldn't tolerate them. I've been wanting to cook with them for sometime so that, that way, its easier to give them away *grin*


I tried a recipe from the newspaper...didn't quite turn out the way I expected. The crust was nice- more like a shortbread as you actually cream the
butter and sugar together first. It was the filling that tripped me over. It said to cook it over the fire with butter (A LOT OF BUTTER), sugar, cloves & cinnamon unti the apples softened. I did that and there was just so much butter still drowning the apples. So, I cooked them up again, and then turned down the heat & left them to take a quick shower. The apples basically caramelised themselves. So, if you look carefully, all the brown bits are the cooked apples. There are some white bits of apple because i thought the caramelised bit plus the crust would be very 'jelak'. So i just put sliced pieces of another (uncooked) apple on the top before baking. I got a mixed reaction to it- some thought super nice, some said too rich, some just didn't like it. Me? I didn't each much but ...i do prefer 'original' apple pie. Just feels like you can eat more of that and somehow feels justified that it's mostly fruits and therefore healthy for you. haha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home